Varalaxmi Sarathkumar (born 5 March 1985) is an Indian actress who appears in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam films. She made her debut with the Tamil film Podaa Podi (2012).
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Biography
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar was born on March 5, 1985, in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. She is the daughter of renowned actor R. Sarathkumar and actress Chaya Sarathkumar. Her stepmother is actress Raadhika. Varalaxmi Sarathkumar has a brother named Rahul Sarathkumar,
Varalaxmi made her acting debut in the Tamil film industry with the movie “Podaa Podi” in 2012. Since then, she has appeared in several Tamil films and gained recognition for her versatile performances. Varalaxmi Sarathkumar’s height is approximately 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm).
Varalaxmi did her schooling at St. Michael’s Academy, Chennai. She is a graduate of Microbiology from Hindustan Arts and Science College, Chennai with a Masters’s in Business Management from the University of Edinburgh. She honed her acting skills at Anupam Kher’s Acting School in Mumbai, before becoming a professional actress.
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Career
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar’s career in the entertainment industry has been marked by her versatility and impactful performances. Here’s an overview of her career:
Varalaxmi made her acting debut in 2012 with the Tamil film “Podaa Podi,” directed by Vignesh Shivan. Although the film received a mixed response, her portrayal of a strong-willed dancer earned her recognition.
In 2013, she appeared in the action-comedy film “Madha Gaja Raja” alongside Vishal and Anjali. However, the film faced delays in release and had a limited theatrical run.
Her breakthrough role came in 2016 with the Tamil film “Tharai Thappattai,” directed by Bala. In the film, she played the lead role of Sooravali, a traditional folk dancer. Her powerful performance received critical acclaim and won her accolades, including the Edison Award for Best Supporting Actress.
Varalaxmi continued to showcase her acting prowess in films such as “Nibunan” (2017), “Sarkar” (2018), and “Sandakozhi 2” (2018). She shared the screen with acclaimed actors like Vijay, Arjun Sarja, and Vishal in these films.
Her role as Chandra in the crime thriller “Vikram Vedha” (2017) garnered widespread praise. The film, starring R. Madhavan and Vijay Sethupathi, was a commercial and critical success.
Varalaxmi has also ventured into other languages. She appeared in the Telugu film “Tenali Ramakrishna BA.BL” (2019) and the Malayalam film “Kasaba” (2016), where she acted alongside Mammootty.
In addition to her acting career, Varalaxmi has been actively involved in social causes. She has used her platform to address issues like women’s empowerment, sexual harassment, and gender equality.
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar’s career is marked by her diverse choice of roles and her ability to bring depth and intensity to her performances. She continues to be a prominent figure in the Tamil film industry, with audiences eagerly awaiting her future projects.
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Filmography
Here are some of Varalaxmi Sarathkumar’s notable Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, and Malayalam movies, along with the year of release and co-stars:
- Podaa Podi (2012) – Co-star: Silambarasan
- Madha Gaja Raja (2013) – Co-stars: Vishal, Anjali
- Tharai Thappattai (2016) – Co-star: Sasikumar
- Vikram Vedha (2017) – Co-stars: R. Madhavan, Vijay Sethupathi
- Sathya (2017) – Co-stars: Sibiraj, Remya Nambeesan
- Nibunan (2017) – Co-stars: Arjun Sarja, Prasanna
- Sarkar (2018) – Co-stars: Vijay, Keerthy Suresh
- Sandakozhi 2 (2018) – Co-stars: Vishal, Keerthy Suresh
- Maari 2 (2018) – Co-stars: Dhanush, Sai Pallavi
- Velvet Nagaram (2020) – Co-stars: Ramesh Thilak, Arjai
- Danny (2020) – Co-stars: Labrador Retriever, Vela Ramamoorthy
- Chasing (2021) – Co-stars: Super Subbarayan
- V3 (Vindhya Victim Verdict) (2023) – Co-stars: Paavana Gowda, Esther Anil
- Kannitheevu (2023) – Co-stars: Subiksha Krishnan, Aishwarya Dutta
- Kondraal Paavam (2023) – Co-stars: Santhosh Prathap, Easwari Rao
- Maruthi Nagar Police Station (MNPS)(2023) – Co-stars: Arav, Santhosh Prathap
- Tenali Ramakrishna BA.BL (2019) – Co-stars: Sundeep Kishan, Hansika Motwani
- Raktanchal (2021) – Co-stars: Jagapathi Babu, Sakshi Chaudhary
- Krack (2021) – Co-stars: Ravi Teja, Shruti Haasan, Samuthirakani
- Naandhi (2021) – Co-stars: Allari Naresh
- Yashoda (2022) – Co-stars: Samantha, Unni Mukundan
- Veera Simha Reddy (2023) – Co-stars: Nandamuri Balakrishna, Shruti Haasan
- Maanikya (2014) – Co-stars: V. Ravichandran, Ranya Rao, Ramya Krishna
- Nibunan (2017) – Co-stars: Arjun and Prasanna
- Kannad Gothilla (2021) – Co-star: Hariprriya
- Ranam (2021) – Co-stars: Chiranjeevi Sarja and Chetan Kumar
- Kasaba (2016) – Co-stars: Mammootty, Neha Saxena
- Kaattu (2017) – Co-stars: Asif Ali and Murali Gopy
- Masterpiece (2017) – Co-stars: Mammootty and Unni Mukundan
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Upcoming Telugu Film
Hanu Man (2023) is an upcoming Indian Telugu-language superhero film written and directed by Prasanth Varma. Produced by Primeshow Entertainment, the film features an ensemble cast of Teja Sajja, Amritha Aiyer, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, Raj Deepak Shetty and Vinay Rai. Release Date Not yet released – Post-production
Sabari (2023) is an upcoming Indian Telugu-language action thriller and Family-drama film written and directed by Anilkatz. It stars Varalaxmi Sarathkumar in the titular role alongside Mime Gopi, Ganesh Venkatraman, and Shashank. Release Date Not yet released – Filming
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Upcoming Tamil Movie
Pamban (2023) is an Upcoming Tamil-Language Film, Not yet released – Post-Production
Piranthal Parasakthi (2023) is an Upcoming Tamil-Language Film, Not yet released -Filming
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Upcoming Malayalam Film
Colors (2023) is an Upcoming Malayalam-Language Film, Not yet released – Filming
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Upcoming Kannada Movie
Lagaam (2023) is an Upcoming Kannada-language Film, Not yet released – Filming
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar Facts
- Varalaxmi Sarathkumar was born into a family deeply associated with the South Indian film industry. Her father, R. Sarathkumar, is a popular actor and politician, while her mother, Chaya Sarathkumar, is an actress.
- She holds a bachelor’s degree in Microbiology from Hindustan Arts and Science College, Chennai.
- Varalaxmi is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer and has performed on stage during her childhood.
- She made her acting debut in the Tamil film “Podaa Podi” in 2012, opposite Silambarasan. Her performance in the film received critical acclaim.
- Varalaxmi is known for her versatility as an actress. She has portrayed a wide range of characters, including both positive and negative roles, and has been appreciated for her intense performances.
- In 2017, she starred in the crime thriller film “Vikram Vedha,” which was a massive commercial success. Her portrayal of Chandra, a lawyer, was highly praised.
- Varalaxmi Sarathkumar is an advocate for social causes and has been actively involved in initiatives related to women’s rights and empowerment. She has spoken out against various issues such as gender inequality, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.
- Apart from acting, Varalaxmi is also involved in philanthropic work. She has supported charitable organizations and has participated in initiatives aimed at helping underprivileged children and promoting education.
- She has received several awards and nominations for her performances, including the Edison Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film “Tharai Thappattai.”
- Varalaxmi Sarathkumar is an avid animal lover and often expresses her love for animals on her social media platforms.
Click on this link, For more information about the release date of Tamil movies from January to December 2023.